How to Jump Start a Car
Are you experiencing issues with your vehicle? If your car doesn’t seem to want to start, it likely needs a jump start, car battery service, or something similar. The first option may seem like the most likely option. Envision Toyota of West Covina has an easy-to-follow guide on how to properly jump start a car, so you don’t have to call a jump start car service. If your battery is towards the end of its life, make the short drive to our Toyota service center near Baldwin Park for a replacement.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
To start, you need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you have everything settled and ready to go, follow the steps below:
- Have the car with the good battery park facing the other vehicle, then make sure that the vehicle is turned off. Check to make sure both parking brakes are engaged.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals. Make sure they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is hooked up securely, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
- Once the dead vehicle has been jump-started, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were placed on, then shut off the car that was used to help jump start the dead car.
- Keep the engine running on the restarted vehicle for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the weak battery doesn’t die again right away. Consult your owner’s manual for more info on recommended times.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
If your car won’t jump start, there is a chance that you will need a battery replacement, or it can also be a sign of a more serious issue. Below are a few steps to troubleshoot the problem:
- If you try and start the car but only hear a clicking sound, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Envision Toyota of West Covina for a replacement.
- If the electrical systems of the car turn on, but the engine fails to turn over, this could be due to a number of reasons. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. It’s worth bringing your vehicle to a service center so they can diagnose the issue.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. That allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Envision Toyota of West Covina for Trusted Toyota Service
Whether you need help with the proper way to jump start a car, need a routine oil change, or battery check, we can help. Give us a call today with any questions about jump starting a car, our inventory, or how much is a Toyota Camry! Don’t forget to take a look at our available service specials and save on your next visit.