If you’re looking for a new-to-you car in West Covina, then you’re probably looking into a lot of factors before purchasing. Once you know what kind of car you want and what model, inspecting a vehicle’s physical condition, mechanics, and checking the mileage will help you determine if it’s a good buy or not. Many Baldwin Park drivers wonder: “What is good mileage on a used car?” While some websites and other drivers will tell you to shy away from a vehicle that has over 100,000 miles on it, that isn’t necessarily a strict rule. Vehicles that have been properly cared for and kept in good condition could still be an excellent buy, even if they have more miles on them. Learn more about what to consider when looking for good mileage for a used car with Envision Toyota of West Covina below, or contact us if you’re interested in one of the vehicles in our used Toyota inventory!
Shop for a Used Car The Smart Way
When you shop for a used car in Glendora, there’s more you need to consider than just mileage. Sometimes an older vehicle that has lower mileage may be a worse buy than a newer vehicle with higher mileage. Read below to see what else to check for as you search for good mileage for a used car:
- Usage – A car that’s been driven in 50,000 miles of stop and go traffic will wear down faster than one that has built up 50,000 miles on Covina highways. Get the previous owner’s driving history before you buy.
- Location – Vehicles that have lived in a warm, dry climate undergo less stress than vehicles from areas that have a cold, wet climate.
- Condition – Have a certified Toyota mechanic – like the ones at the Envision Toyota of West Covina service center – inspect the vehicle for any issues like mechanical problems or rust. These will need to be handled eventually, and should be factored into your budget.
- Maintenance – Ask for the maintenance history of the vehicle to ensure that it’s been cared for properly over its lifetime. An irregular service history can lead to expensive problems in the future.
Finding a Used Car Based on Mileage
There’s no straightforward way to answer “what is good mileage on a used car?”. Since there are so many other factors that determine the vehicle’s health, it’s better to think about how much mileage you anticipate getting out of a used car. If you find a used vehicle with 50,000 miles on it and it’s been properly cared for, then it’s probably an excellent buy. However, if you find a used car that has 100,000 miles on it for cheaper, you’ll most likely get another four years out of it. If you plan to buy another new car before that time is up, then the cheaper vehicle should serve you just fine. Typically, a driver will rack up about 12,000 miles a year, this is also something to keep in mind as you look at good mileage for a used car.
Vehicle Mileage vs. Age
In some cases, learning what is good mileage on a used car is closely related to the vehicle’s age. A newer vehicle with higher mileage may be a better choice than an older car with lower mileage. Consider these factors before you buy:
- A vehicle that hasn’t been driven regularly will most likely have mechanical issues or problems with rubber seals and gaskets, which can develop if a car isn’t driven on a regular basis. This will lead to higher repair costs later on.
- A vehicle with a well-documented maintenance history is always preferable to one that has had an irregular maintenance history.
- Lower mileage vehicles will most likely come with a higher price tag, regardless of their age.
If you have strict criteria for your new-to-you vehicle to meet, consider browsing our Toyota Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) inventory. These vehicles have undergone rigorous inspection and must meet certain standards to be designated Certified Pre-Owned vehicles. A CPO vehicle is a good choice if you want the savings of a used car with the peace of mind that comes from a new car purchase.
Find The Right Used Cars For You At Envision Toyota of West Covina
There’s a lot to consider when you shop for a used car. Let the sales team at Envision Toyota of West Covina help you find the right used car for your needs at an excellent price. Explore our used Toyota inventory today, then check our used vehicle specials for extra savings. When you’re ready, our finance team will be happy to help you start the car buying process, we look forward to hearing from you!
More from Envision Toyota of West Covina
Looking for a full-size pickup that brings something extra to the table? The 2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro 5.7L V8 engine delivers a 9,900-pound towing capacity, while 18-inch Tundra TRD wheels and all-terrain tires provide ground clearance and control on challenging terrain. Plus, the TRD Pro cabin is packed with advanced tech to keep…Read More
Thanks to its always-reliable performance and ultra-reasonable price, the Toyota Camry has been a top choice for Baldwin Park drivers since its launch in 1983. So how much is a Toyota Camry in 2021? The starting Toyota Camry price this year is $24,970*, a great value when you consider that lots of advanced technology—including Toyota…Read More
The Toyota Camry returns for the 2021 model year with a new engine option, upgraded performance features, and a new hybrid trim level for West Covina drivers. Whether you’re looking to save fuel with the Toyota Camry or upgrade your daily commute, this mid-size sedan will deliver the performance and capability you’re looking for. Explore the…Read More